Francis Augustus Dupar, Sr.
The Dupar Foundation was founded by Francis Augustus Dupar, Sr. and his wife, Ethel Leona (Gilbert) Dupar in 1953. Frank Dupar was born in Grand Island, Nebraska in 1888. He moved west as a young man in 1906 and helped with the cleanup of the great earthquake in San Francisco, before becoming a journeyman plumber. He then moved to Seattle where he started working for Palmer Supply Company. He later purchased Palmer Supply Company and got involved in the hotel business. In 1930, Frank and Sievert Thurston combined their two companies to form the Western Hotels. After building hotels internationally they changed the name to Western International Hotels, which then became Westin.
Frank married Ethel in 1918 and they raised 8 children. She was very active in the community and started the Ethel L. Dupar Fragrant Garden for the Blind. She was an early supporter of the Children’s Orthopedic Hospital and donated many hours to the Seattle Children’s Home. She donated their property at Seabeck (previously the family summer camp) to the Camp Fire Girls. This was later sold to the State and is a part of Scenic Beach State Park. The Camp Fire Girls designated part of Camp Sealth to “Dupar Valley”, in honor of Ethel Dupar.